Thursday, March 15, 2012

1981 "Dedication of the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum" Part 3 Gordon McCrae Betty Ford

1981 "Dedication of the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum" Part 3 Gordon McCrae Betty Ford Video Clips. Duration : 20.83 Mins.


On tape day, I was awakened by the crackling of radio static in the hallway just outside my room. I peeked out and could see scores of Secret Service agents who looked to be about the same age as the troops Hope entertained dry-running their Dick Tracy wrist radios. It was early and I had to get on the job myself, but I asked one of the agents if they weren't afraid of waking up the other guests. "Sir, there are no civilians on this floor except you." I learned later that I wasn't completely alone on that floor. I had slept just a few doors from Nancy and Ron who had checked in during the night. I noticed that whenever we worked in close proximity to presidents, congressmen, or world leaders, just being a Hope writer gave you an automatic "This guy can go anywhere" security designation. With Hope's close ties to Washington, we worked with the Secret Service many times over the years, and I can attest that they take their work very seriously. Each morning as I headed to the hotel coffee shop for breakfast, I'd pass a particularly stern-looking agent standing guard at the entrance. Just to be neighborly, I'd recite what I thought was our best joke from the previous day's output just to get his reaction, but got nothing but cold stares. On the morning of the show, I tried one last time and failed again. "Gee," I said, "I hope you laugh more than this when you're in the audience." Without even a hint of a smile, he replied, "Don't worry, sir. I'm off duty tonight." You can ...

Tags: Bob, Hope, NBC, TV, spdecial, Gerald, R., Ford, presidential, library, and, Museum, jokes, funny, humor, comedy, music, songs, laugfhter, black, tie, dignitaries

No comments:

Post a Comment